Dow AgroSciences and Save Our Crops Coalition Joint Statement
- Dow AgroSciences and the Save Our Crops Coalition (SOCC) have been engaged in discussions to resolve SOCC concerns regarding the potential for herbicide injury to non-target plants after the introduction of Dow AgroSciences’ new 2,4-D tolerant crops. Dow AgroSciences and SOCC are very pleased to announce the successful conclusion of those discussions. Through this dialogue, both Dow AgroSciences and SOCC have achieved a better understanding of the each other’s perspective and concerns as well as have agreed to take additional steps to ensure the coexistence of the Enlist™ technology with sensitive crops growers. To this end, each organization agreed to modify positions with respect to pending regulatory matters around 2,4-D tolerant crops.
- In light of the commitments made by Dow AgroSciences, SOCC will amend its comments and petitions to United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to the extent they challenge applications for approval of Dow AgroSciences’ new seed and herbicide products to be commercialized as part of the Enlist™ Weed Control System. SOCC believes that commitments made by Dow AgroSciences represent substantial measures to mitigate potential non-target plant damage impacts from herbicide spray drift and volatilization associated with 2,4-D tolerant crops.
- Dow AgroSciences will request an amendment to its label pending before EPA to include additional statements relating to herbicide applications near sensitive crops. Dow AgroSciences also reaffirms its commitments to assist in the investigation, diagnosis and resolution of alleged non-target claims, and in educating growers and applicators in management practices and proper application to reduce off target movement, especially in areas with sensitive crops.
- SOCC notes that impressive research findings presented by Dow AgroSciences have been published in refereed journal articles. Specifically, SOCC cites research Dow AgroSciences has made available indicating the reduced drift and volatilization potential of its new herbicide solution for Enlist crops.
- Farmers have a long history of wanting to do the right thing for their crops, their land and their neighbors. The willingness of industry segments to discuss and understand each other illustrates the spirit and commitment to success that is typical in American agriculture.
™Enlist is a trademark of Dow AgroSciences LLC. Components of the Enlist Weed Control System have not yet received regulatory approvals; approvals are pending. The information presented is not an offer for sale. ©2012 Dow AgroSciences LLC
About Dow AgroSciences
Dow AgroSciences, based in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, develops leading-edge crop protection and plant biotechnology solutions to meet the challenges of the growing world. Dow AgroSciences is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Dow Chemical Company and had annual global sales of $5.7 billion in 2011. Learn more at www.dowagro.com. Follow Dow AgroSciences on Facebook and YouTube or subscribe to our News Release RSS Feed.